IOWA DOT PROVIDES UPDATE ON ROAD CLOSURES DUE TO FLOODING
(Ames) The Iowa Department of Transportation (DOT) is providing the following update on roads closed in western Iowa due to flooding. The department is also continuing to monitor at-risk areas as flood water levels and levee conditions change.
Turn Around Don't Drown®
Flooding is a dynamic situation, ever-changing throughout the day. Motorists need to take extra precautions when traveling in areas where flooding is occurring or predicted.
· Use additional caution when traveling at night when it is difficult to see a flooded road ahead or water approaching the roadway from the side.
· If you must travel on roadways where water is nearby, give your full attention to the driving task and expect vehicles ahead to slow down or make sudden stops.
· Keep your focus on the road ahead, not on the water around you and adjust your speed for conditions.
Current road closures/restrictions
· I-29 Hamilton Boulevard interchange in Woodbury County: The southbound I-29 interchange ramps at Hamilton Boulevard in Sioux City are closed. An alternative ramp has been constructed from southbound I-29 to Wesley Parkway/U.S. 77.
· I-29 in Pottawattamie County: The south- and northbound lanes of I-29 between milepost 54B (North 35th Street interchange in Council Bluffs) and the I-29/680 interchange at milepost 71 (near Loveland) are closed. This is expected to be a longer-term closure.
· I-29 from exit 24 (near Bartlett, Iowa) south across the Iowa/Missouri state line to the U.S. 136 interchange in Missouri (Mo. 110 exit, near Rock Port): The north- and southbound lanes are closed. This is expected to be a longer-term closure.
· I-680 in Omaha area: I-680 is closed from the I-29/680 interchange (exit 61 near Crescent) in Iowa to North 30th Street in Omaha, Neb. (exit 13). This closure includes the Mormon Bridge across the Missouri River. This is expected to be a longer-term closure.
· UPDATE: U.S. 30 west of Missouri Valley, including the Blair, Neb. Bridge across the Missouri River: This road is currently OPEN for the holiday weekend, but will close again at 8:30 a.m. Tuesday, July 5. The temporary closure is expected to last approximately 48 hours while a flood barrier wall is installed along the north side of the road.
· Iowa 2 in Fremont County: Iowa 2 is closed from I-29 in Iowa to Nebraska City. Both east- and westbound lanes are closed. This is expected to be a longer-term closure.
· Iowa 333 in Hamburg: Iowa 333 is closed from I-29 into Hamburg. Access to Hamburg is currently available via U.S. 275 in Iowa.
· Iowa 376 northbound (U.S. 75 Business-Lewis Boulevard): The exit ramp to westbound Gordon Drive is closed.
Key traveler information resources
· Road condition information will be available 24 hours a day throughout the Fourth of July weekend. Visit www.iowadot.gov (click on the “Flooding Ahead” sign) to view the road closure map, or call 511 (in Iowa) or 800-288-1047 (anywhere in the United States) for a recorded message of road closures.