(Marion) A 61-year-old mentally disabled woman, living in a Marion residential care facility, died last summer from what authorities say was excessive heat. Rhonda Skoog died last August, a day after the home in which she lived, was treated for bed bugs. In order to kill the bed bugs, super-heated air was blown into the house while the occupants were not present. Records indicate the four residents of the 29th Street Crest Group Home were allowed back inside two and a half hours after the treatment. State Records say home staffers were undertrained and unaware that Skoog's diagnosed sensitivity to heat was aggravated by two of her medications. Iowa Department of Inspections and Appeals Spokesman David Werning says,
"Our expectation is that anyone that is going to be handing out medication should have a working knowledge or should have the medication review sheets or something available so they know what they are administering and what the effect is."
Werning says it is the responsibility of the administrator to oversee proper training of the employees. The company that operates the care facility in Marion was fined $10,000.
Iowa Radio Network