(Atlantic) Atlantic Fire Chief Mark Mcnees has pinpointed the cause of the fire that caused significant damage to an Atlantic residence Tuesday. Mcnees and John Ticer, of the State Fire Marshalls Office went back to the scene on Wednesday.
“We did pinpoint it to a gauge of wire that was much to small for a house hold electrical,” stated Mcnees.
Mcnees says a lot of people like to do their own wiring. However, he says that can be dangerous especially if the proper UL class of wiring is not used.
“Electrical use in the home has risen dramatically over the last few years and will continue,” said Mcnees. “If you have an older home that you are questioning, it might be a good idea to have an electrician take a look and make sure you have proper wiring and proper fusing.”
He says the bottom line is to use heavier gauge wire.
Atlantic Fire Fighters were called to 803 Mulberry Street at around 11:20 a.m. Mcnees says an older couple lived at the residence and the husband was working on an outlet in the bathroom and heard a pop. Shortly there after, his wife noticed smoke upstairs.
Both occupants were able to get out of the home safely.
January 9, 2014