(Marne) Fire Fighters responded to a fire on the west side of a residence in Marne this afternoon.
Marne Fire Chief Josh Krause says the call came in at around 1:27 p.m. of a fire at 402 Franklin Street.
“We got a call of a fire on the west side of a residence,” stated Krause. “They had a wood burning stove on the backside of the porch that had spread into a wood pile adjacent to it. It was fully involved when we got here. We were able to get the fire knocked down before it got into the house. So we salvaged the house, but the porch and the woodpile are a total loss.”
Krause says there were two occupants inside the home at the time of the fire. Both residents and their three pets were able to get out safely. Krause says the wood burning stove might have overheated and lit the wood pile next to it on fire. He says it appears the wood pile had been burning for quite awhile.
The Marne Fire Department was assisted by the Atlantic Fire Department, Cass County Sheriff’s Office, and Cass County Emergency Management Director Mike Kennon.
January 8, 2014