(Des Moines) There’s been another winter heating related incident in Des Moines following a series of cold weather fires in the city.
The fire department was called to 1322 11th Street this morning after a woman called complaining of a headache that had lasted for four days. She greeted firefighters at the door and collapsed and another person was seen lying on the floor. Fire Captain Steve Brown says the carbon monoxide in the house was off the charts.
“It read over, I believe our meters read up to 500 parts per million which was way over which is immediately dangerous to life and health.”
Eight people in all were taken to area hospitals for treatment of carbon monoxide poisoning. Brown says this is another example of why home heating systems should be checked to make sure they are working properly.
Iowa Radio Network