(DES MOINES) Right now there is a 12 year old Arkansas girl fighting for her life because she went swimming in a Little Rock water park and got a rare amoeba up her nose.
The parasite finds its way to the brain where is causes a fatal infection. State Medical Director Patricia Quinlisk wouldn’t worry about it here.
“It’s only found in very small bodies of water that are warm and have been stagnant, places to be honest that most people would not consider swimming in, in the first place,” said Quinlisk. “I don’t know that anybody out there is testing for it because most people would say the way to avoid it is just don’t go swimming in those kind of places.”
She says it has been confined to southern states, but lately it turned up as far north as Minnesota. She says keeping your head out of the water is key.
Iowa Radio Network