SOUTHWEST IOWA REC TO RECEIVE FUNDING FROM FEMA
(WASHINGTON) Southwest Iowa Rural Electric Cooperative will receive $2,892,308 from FEMA. The funds will be used to retrofit 41.8 miles of electrical distribution lines in order to lessen damage from severe weather.
Northwest Iowa Power Cooperative will receive $20,762,482 to retrofit 151.14 miles of electrical distribution lines in order to lessen damage from severe weather.
Senator Chuck Grassley says the U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Emergency Management Agency has awarded the funding through the Hazard Mitigation Grant Program. FEMA obligates funding for these projects directly to the state. It is the state’s responsibility to ensure that the eligible sub-grantees receive these awards. FEMA contributes 75 percent of the total cost of the project. State and local entities contribute the other 25 percent.