(ATLANTIC) The Atlantic Fire Department responded to a small fire at the Atlantic Middle School this morning.
Atlantic Fire Chief Mark McNees said they were called to the Middle School at around 10:20 a.m. for a fire in a storage area of the basement.
“Some workers there during this reconstruction project were cutting some piping out, old electrical conduit, and they had started some material on fire… there were some blueprints, cardboard boxes and electrical equipment and stuff in that room, and while they were doing the cutting some sparks and material got on there and started on fire,” explained McNees.
The fire caused quite a bit of smoke throughout the building.
“We were on scene probably nearly an hour working to ventilate the basement,” said McNees. “There was still quite a bit on the upper two floors and they were going to continue to use fans and do ventilation. Just about had to go one room at a time to get it pulled out of there since it is such a large building.”
McNees said there was very little damage to the building itself, but the contents of the storage area were destroyed.