(ATLANTIC) A wood deck was destroyed by a fire in Atlantic early this morning.
Atlantic Fire Chief Mark McNees said they received the call at around 12:45 a.m. after neighbors spotted the fire at 505 W. 14th Street, the residence of Thor Jordan.
“When we arrived the corner of the deck and below it was fully engulfed in flames and we got it out,” said McNees. “The resident said earlier in the evening they had been using a charcoal grill and had not dumped the ashes or cooled them off. It appears the ashes came out of the bottom of the vent, caught the deck on fire and quite a bit of materials around it including more charcoal, lighter fluid and deck furniture.”
McNees said no injuries were reported. There was substantial damage to the deck, but no damage to the home.
McNees said it is important to make sure the coals are out before leaving a grill unattended.