(Harlan) – Around 4 p.m. yesterday afternoon, a fire was reported at the 1013 Durant Street residence in Harlan. According to reports, 89-year old, Bernard Wolfe of Harlan had been using a torch in his basement which was malfunctioning at the time and later led to the start of the fire. Wolfe was rescued from his home and was administered CPR, but passed away shortly after at the Myrtue Medical Center. Harlan Fire Chief, Roger Bissen, said that there was minimal damage done to Wolfe’s residence. On the scene was the Harlan Fire Department, the Westphalia Fire Department, Medivac Ambulance, the Harlan Police Department, and the Shelby County Sherriff’s Office.
June 16, 2013