(Atlantic) Project engineer Jerry Purdy explained to the Atlantic School
Board Monday night just exactly how a light fixture broke loose from a classroom ceiling on May 15 and fell on some students.
“We apologize that it took place,” stated Purdy. “After we heard about it we called the contractor and requested that each and every new light fixture be checked and they did that.”
“If there is any good that came out of this it was only one particular type of light fixture and only occurred in the two classroom at the east end on the upper floor,” said Purdy. “The electrical sub-contractor had screwed them into that fiber board tile that was already there and that is what released.”
It happened at around 9:00 a.m. on May 15 in one of the newly renovated classrooms. Two students suffered scratches and one student suffered a bump on the head. All three were treated by the school nurse, however it is unknown if any of the students received any further treatment.
May 15, 2013