FIRE DAMAGES ATLANTIC HOME
(Atlantic) Atlantic Fire fighters were called to a house fire at 506 Elm Street at around 7:00 p.m. Sunday evening.
Atlantic Fire Chief Mark McNees says when they arrived heavy smoke was coming from the entire roof area. McNees says, the fire was confined to a back bedroom and the preliminary cause appears to have come from a space heater in a child’s bedroom.
“It was connected to a very small gauge electrical cord and there was a lot of clothing and materials around it,” said McNees. “I’m not sure whether it was an overload or just material’s too close to the heater.”
Chief McNees says there were four residents downstairs who heard a crackling sound and a big crash. They were all able to get safely out of the house.