(Villisca) A Friday morning fire in Villisca has resulted in the total loss of the house located at 104 North 5th Avenue.
John Bruce, EMS Chief and Fire Investigator for Villisca Fire and Rescue, tells KSOM/KS95.7 news that officials first arrived on the scene at 9:40 a.m. to find heavy fire out of the back side of the home and attached garage.
One occupant, identified as Kevin Kling, was able to leave the home but did receive injuries.
"He did receive some minor injuries, was transported to Clarinda Regional for injuries and we were advised later transferred to a burn unit in Lincoln with just minor injuries but something they wanted treatment sought at a burn unit for."
A space heater is blamed for causing the fire.
"It was found that there was a space heater located in the back side of the house that was assisting in heating the kitchen and restroom area. It had faulty wiring in the cord and that was the ignition source."
Bruce says the Stanton Fire Department assisted Villisca Fire and Rescue in fighting the fire which took nearly eight hours to put out.