(Harlan) The massive apartment fire in Harlan Wednesday night was caused by a lit cigarette.
Harlan Fire Chief Roger Bissen says a resident was lighting a cigarette with a butane lighter when it flared up and he tossed it, and it rolled across the room and started the apartment on fire.
The fire gutted the 102-year-old apartment complex, located at 707 Durant Street, and displaced 8-residents. One of the residents was treated for smoke inhalation at Myrtue Medical Center in Harlan.
The State Fire Marshall’s Office was called in to investigate the fire Thursday and it was determined the fire was an accident.
November 30, 2012