(ATLANTIC) It’s that time of year, the Christmas trees and lights are going up and the fireplaces are adding that warm fuzzy feeling to your home.
But, the holiday season also brings an increased risk of house fires. Atlantic Fire Chief Mark McNees said fresh trees are a popular option but you want to make sure the tree does not dry out.
“Make sure when you put it in a container that it’s got water and you check that daily and I would also encourage not to put it next to a heat register if at all possible, you don’t want hot air blowing on it and drying it out,” said McNees. “If you have to put a tree by one I would just dampen that down or close it off so it doesn’t blow on it.”
And if you have learned anything from Clark Griswold you do NOT want to overload the circuit.
“Some of these extension cords, if they’re a very cheap one, that’s probably exactly what they are; very cheap and a danger,” said McNees. “They won’t hold a lot of current though them without overheating and possibly shorting out and causing a fire. So, it’s real important that you keep those in the open, don’t put them under your rugs and do what you can to make your home as fire safe during Christmas as possible.”
When it comes to fireplaces, space heaters and even your furnace, McNees says to make sure you keep things away from them, especially live greenery that can easily dry out. And of course, do not leave candles or warmers unattended when you leave the house.