(Exira) The joint meeting between the Exira and Elk Horn-Kimballton School Boards Monday night lacked a quorum so there was no decision made on the Reorganization timeline. According to the agenda, the two boards were expected to act on the approval of a petition for circulation by January 4, 2013.
Exira/Elk Horn-Kimballton Schools Superintendent Dean Schnoes says they could reschedule a meeting as early as next week.
“We will have to schedule another joint board meeting to have both boards approve the recognition of the petitions so they can be circulated,” stated Schnoes. “The goal is to get enough signatures by January 4.”
Schnoes says that’s because those petitions would have to be sent in to the AEA’s so they can make a decision to approve in time to put the reorganization issue to a vote by April 9.
“To see if the voters would be supportive of bringing the two small districts together to make a bigger district, which would be beneficial for both school districts,” Schnoes said. “When you create a bigger school district it helps to remain functional down the road and that is what they are trying to do.
“We have two school districts that have done some great things and both these districts have a lot to offer to the students who reside in these districts,” said Schnoes. “We just want to make sure we can continue operating and hopefully we will receive a positive reorganization vote so we can continue to offer a quality education in this area.”
Schnoes says the biggest issue right now is to find out what questions school district patrons may have so school officials can answer them before the issue comes up for vote.
November 27, 2012
11:00 a.m. news