(Audubon) A fire destroyed a rural Audubon County home Tuesday evening.
Audubon Fire Chief John Ballou says the call came in at around 8:45 p.m. from a report of flames shooting from the roof of a residence located at 1985 250th Street.
“When we arrived there was a lot of smoke and flames shooting out of the west eve of the house,” stated Chief Ballou.
The Exira and Brayton Fire Departments were then called in to provide mutual aide and firefighters remained on the scene until about 3:00 o’clock this morning.
“We had to cut into the roof of the home so we could gain access to the fire,” Ballou said. “And we had to let it burn itself open before we could get to it.”
Chief Ballou says the fire started in the chimney of a wood burning stove. He says the house is a total loss.
“It looks like the home is pretty much totaled. The fire took the roof off of the house.”
The Audubon Fire Department was called back out this morning to douse a rekindling. Everyone was able to get out safely and no one was injured as the result of the fire.
November 14, 2012
11:00 a.m. news