(COUNCIL BLUFFS) One person was injured in an explosion and fire at a residence in Council Bluffs Thursday night.
The Council Bluffs Fire Department says when the first fire department units arrived on scene at 310 South 10th Street at around 7:45 p.m. they found heavy fire from the second floor of the residence. Crews extinguished a large amount of fire on the second floor and remained on scene for approximately 2 ½ hours. The fire damage to the structure was limited to the second floor with heavy smoke and water damage throughout the rest of the residence. No neighboring structures suffered damage from the fire.
Fire Department paramedics transported 38-year-old James Aherns to Creighton Medical Center with severe burns. A second occupant of the structure was not injured.
The fire investigation is ongoing. Initial investigation has deemed the fire as accidental, resulting from the victim smoking too close to combustible/flammable materials.