(ATLANTIC) Discarded smoking materials may be to blame for a fire that damaged a duplex in Atlantic this afternoon.
Atlantic Fire Chief Mark McNees said the fire occurred at 2101 Chestnut Street shortly after 1:00 p.m.
“Upon arrival we did have, on the back side, heavy smoke and flames showing. One of the residents of the duplex was out front and indicated that she had hollered and nobody was inside so we made initial knockdown and a quick search inside just to be safe. There was heavy extensive structural damage to both sides and very heavy smoke and heat damage on both sides of it. Everybody was out of the duplex alright,” said McNees. “We did talk to one owner when they arrived and they had been outside earlier smoking and we did some investigation and preliminary results right now it appears that it was discarded smoking material that was the cause of the fire and it spread to some lawn chairs on the deck and it had spread throughout the deck area and then into both duplexes.”
McNees says this is a reminder to be careful when discarding smoking materials, especially outside where a little breeze can blow the material around in places that can easily catch on fire.