(Atlantic) The Atlantic Fire Department was dispatched to a shed fire at the Dave and Lynn Eckels farm, at 57899 Indian Creek Road west of Atlantic at around 2:25 a.m..
"When we arrived a machine shed was fully engulfed in flames," stated McNees. "There were three freshly filled propane tanks next to the burning structure, and one of them had popped off and was hissing. We able to keep those cool and did what we could do keep the flames from spreading to a nearby barn and home. The building was a total loss."
McNees says an ember from a burn pile sparked the fire.
"The cause was from a cement burn pit with a grate over the top of it that was lit earlier in the day," said McNees. "Apparently, an ember escaped from the pit and started some leaves on fire that trailed up to the building. The flames got underneath the sheeting and the building went up pretty quick."
It took Atlantic Fire fighters about two hours to douse the blaze.
November 1, 2011