(Atlantic) Atlantic Fireman were dispatched to a residential fire Tuesday afternoon. A caller reported flames seen through an upstairs window at 401 Maple Street just before 4:00 p.m.
Officials say smoke was scene coming out of the eaves of the apartment house. The fire is being blamed on an unattended candle that ignited some drapes next to a bed. The resident was able to put the fire out by throwing clothes and water on top of them. It was reported that the male occupant suffered some minor burns to his fingers.
Atlantic Assistant Fire Chief Tom Cappel says, "Every room in every house needs smoke detectors. Luckily these people were home, they were just in the other room. We do advise if you are going to burn candles please do not leave the room."